The human mind is truly a wanderer. I get a call from an old buddy, and very soon we go back to our school days and the unforgettable picnic during our tenth standard. Soon after the call ended, I kept thinking about the great time we all had and then it reminded me of a story that I told a few of my friends during the long bus ride that day. I was raving about the new movie "kuch kuch hota hai", which in my belief, was a crime to miss.
The movie featured two of the most beautiful actresses, Kajol and Rani and I had been right there - first day first show. 3 people in love and a great story worth telling for years to come - no surprise that the movie became a blockbuster and earned Karan Johar immediate respect.
The most complicated of all things on earth are human relationships and the three actors gave us a real life portrayal of this. I have vivid memories of the scene when Kajol is about to leave; Shahrukh and Rani are trying to make her stay back in what seems like a half-hearted approach. The memories are vivid because - yes I admit - I cried. I am sure many in the audience cried. If you are someone who truly values people and relationships, that scene will rip you apart.
I then come back to the present and the first thing I do is play that "oh so painful" song - "tujhe yaad na meri aayee". Kajol's expressions alone should have deserved her an Oscar. The lyrics are touching and more so when you add the magic touch of Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan.
I can't help but wonder, how do people write so beautifully. Language kindles the fire of emotions in human beings. Some are blessed to craft it expertly and bring out their best. The lines below are enough to tell a tale - a tale of love, pain, fate and acceptance.

Tujhe har khushi de di
Labon ki hansi de di
Zulfon ki ghata lehraayee
Paigaam wafa ke laayee
Tune acchhi preet nibhayee
Kisi se ab kya kehna
Tujhe yaad na meri aayee
Kisi se ab kya kehna
I have nothing more to say, but to think - what happened to movies like these. They don't make them anymore. Perhaps, there is no place for a script like this in today's era. Or maybe there is - just that the filmmakers don't realize it. Either way, we the audience stand to lose.
The movie featured two of the most beautiful actresses, Kajol and Rani and I had been right there - first day first show. 3 people in love and a great story worth telling for years to come - no surprise that the movie became a blockbuster and earned Karan Johar immediate respect.
The most complicated of all things on earth are human relationships and the three actors gave us a real life portrayal of this. I have vivid memories of the scene when Kajol is about to leave; Shahrukh and Rani are trying to make her stay back in what seems like a half-hearted approach. The memories are vivid because - yes I admit - I cried. I am sure many in the audience cried. If you are someone who truly values people and relationships, that scene will rip you apart.
I then come back to the present and the first thing I do is play that "oh so painful" song - "tujhe yaad na meri aayee". Kajol's expressions alone should have deserved her an Oscar. The lyrics are touching and more so when you add the magic touch of Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan.I can't help but wonder, how do people write so beautifully. Language kindles the fire of emotions in human beings. Some are blessed to craft it expertly and bring out their best. The lines below are enough to tell a tale - a tale of love, pain, fate and acceptance.

Tujhe har khushi de di
Labon ki hansi de di
Zulfon ki ghata lehraayee
Paigaam wafa ke laayee
Tune acchhi preet nibhayee
Kisi se ab kya kehna
Tujhe yaad na meri aayee
Kisi se ab kya kehna
I have nothing more to say, but to think - what happened to movies like these. They don't make them anymore. Perhaps, there is no place for a script like this in today's era. Or maybe there is - just that the filmmakers don't realize it. Either way, we the audience stand to lose.

Truly - wonderful movie. but I guess, in present times, taste of movie lovers have changed. Some want pure entertainment from their super stars, others like movies with a message, and the rest want different storyline like Dryshyam, Ghajani, Lucia, etc. I doubt such love stories will ever become so popular.
ReplyDeleteNice perspective Pankaj. Loved to read it. Keep blogging!